The use of isolation gowns and surgical gowns is something that we see in hospitals and medical facilities daily. They are there to protect against possible infection and germs that could be lurking in the room, waiting to infect anyone who walks in. On the other hand, they are there to hide those who might not feel comfortable with others seeing their body while they undergo a medical procedure. They can also be seen as a way to respect everyone’s privacy when they aren’t wearing clothes. There are many different types of surgical gowns available on the market, but which one is right for you? In this article, we will discuss what they are, their differences from isolation gowns and how you can tell which one you need in your hospital room or clinic.
What is an isolation gown?
Isolation gowns are used in laboratories, hospitals and other medical facilities where there are certain risks of infection. This can be due to the equipment being used, a certain disease present in the patients, or certain medications that can make a patient more susceptible to infections. This also usually applies to procedures that require the use of a needle. Such gowns are usually made of cotton so that they can be worn under gloves and other protective gear. Some may also have sleeves that are elastic or have a zipper so that they can be safely put on or taken off while wearing gloves.
What is a surgical gown?
Surgical gowns are very similar to isolation gowns as they are there to keep you safe from germs and infections. However, surgical gowns are meant to protect you from other people’s eyes and hands while you’re undergoing surgery. During the process, doctors and nurses need to touch you and use instruments to stitch you up. These gowns usually have a neck opening that is large enough for a person to put on a cap and protect their head from getting cut. There are also surgical gowns that are designed to protect against germs and infections. These gowns usually have a zipper or buttons on the front to easily put them on and take them off.
Differences Between Isolation Gowns and Surgical Gowns
- Cotton vs Polyester: While cotton is a good fabric for an isolation gown, it is also known to be a breeding ground for bacteria, which could cause an infection. A surgical gown, on the other hand, is made of polyester, which is very resistant to bacteria. It is also easier to clean and dry, which makes it a better choice for a hospital gown.
- Design: Some isolation gowns have a front opening that can be buttoned, while others zip up the front. The front opening allows you to expose your chest if you need to access your breathing tube or other medical equipment. Surgical gowns have multiple pockets, including one on the front that is large enough to store your phone so that you can easily check if there’s a message while you’re in the middle of an operation.
- Washing: Cotton is a fabric that retains its shape and color, making it the easiest fabric for bacteria to grow on. If a gown is not washed properly, bacteria can build up inside it, causing an infection. Surgical gowns are washed with special soap and water that kills germs, making them a better choice for wearing in the hospital.
- Shelf Life: Cotton swells, becoming more porous when it is wet. When it is allowed to dry out, the bacteria inside can grow, causing an infection. Surgical gowns are designed to be moisture-wicking, keeping bacteria at bay.
- Warranty: If you buy a cotton gown, you can expect it to last only a few years. A surgical gown, on the other hand, is made of polyester, making it a better option for long-term use. Many hospitals and medical facilities offer a warranty on their surgical gowns, allowing you to return them if it becomes worn out after a certain period.
Why You Should Wear a Surgical or Isolation Gown?
There are many benefits to wearing a surgical or isolation gown. Some of these reasons include:
- Protection: During certain procedures, such as surgery or when a patient is having blood drawn, you will be exposed to certain infectious diseases. These diseases can be passed from person to person through direct contact or contaminated equipment.
- Medical procedures: During certain medical procedures, such as breast augmentation or inguinal hernia surgery, you might need to wear a surgical gown so that other people can safely see you and use surgical equipment on you.
- Hospital Room Privacy: A surgical or isolation gown can protect your privacy when you are in a hospital room by keeping other people’s eyes off of you. It also guarantees that only those people who need to see you can do so.
- Hygiene: Wearing a gown prevents you from getting messy or having germs on your clothes, which can make you more likely to get sick. It also keeps others from seeing you when they are wearing gloves, which can get contaminated while they’re working.
- Dignity: Wearing a gown can help protect your dignity when you are in a hospital or other medical facility. A hospital gown can be worn over your clothes so that you don’t have to walk around nude in front of other people. It can also be worn under a blanket so that you aren’t walking around naked in front of everyone.
- Comfort: A hospital gown can be very uncomfortable when it is hot or when it is wet. This can make you uncomfortable and distract you from the medical procedures that you’re there for. A surgical or isolation gown can be worn over your clothes so that you aren’t walking around with it on and can be removed or put on easily if it is getting to be too hot or wet.
Isolation gowns and surgical gowns are both necessary tools in the medical field to protect patients and the staff from harmful germs and infections. While surgical gowns are meant to protect against being seen by other people, isolation gowns protect against the same germs and infections that surgical gowns do, but without exposing your private parts to other people. They are both essential tools in the medical field, but it is important to consider which one is a better fit for you and the situation you may be in. These gowns can be difficult to tell apart in a hospital room and clinic, so it is best to ask the staff, nurses or doctors what type of gowns are used in their facility. If you are unsure, it is best to wear an isolation gown so that you can protect yourself from infections and germs that could be present.
You can send an email asking for the price and detailed information of this product. We will reply you as soon as we receive your email